Every year right before Ramadan I buy puff pastry sheets in bulk from the restaurant depot. It’s this huge box that contains 30, 10″ x “15 puff pastry sheets. Then throughout Ramadan I bake numerous types of sweet and savory snacks using these sheets. it comes in super handy, sometimes its easier to thaw a few sheets and make the snack in bulk, especially for iftar. who wants to go in the kitchen while fasting.
There are so many delicious snacks made with puff pastry which is just plain white flour kneaded with water and then butter is placed in the middle then it is folded and rolled over and over again. The roll and fold action created tens of layers of dough and tons of layers of butter which give the puff pastry the lovely flaky texture.
Strawberry Chocolate Strudel
- 1 sheet puff pastry, thawed
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips.
- 8 strawberries
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 1 egg yolk, whisked
- 2 tablespoons confectioners sugar
- Preheat oven to 400ºF
- In a small bowl melt the chocolate chips. Place the chocolate chips in the microwave for 20 seconds and then take the bowl out and mix with a spoon. Set aside.
- Break the walnuts into small pieces, set aside.
- Cut each strawberry into four slices after removing the stems, set aside.
- Lay the puff pastry sheet flat on a clean surface, cut it in half. Cut 1-inch slits on each side of the sheet, about 2 cm apart.
- First spread the melted chocolate in the middle of the puff pastry sheet, then place sliced strawberries on the chocolate, lastly sprinkle the walnut pieces on top of strawberries.
- Braid the strips over the filling.
- Brush with egg yolk and bring to a preheated oven at 356 degrees until golden brown.
- Use a sifter, or small shaker to dust the surface evenly with an allover coat. Apply as heavily as desired.