This bread is a cross between bread and Philly cheesesteak. A soft braided bread, stuffed with chicken that is sautéed in spices and sauces. It also has a variety of vegetables, peppers, onions, and mushrooms, and to make it simply irresistible there is shredded cheese, of course, there is cheese! which engulfs the chicken while the bread bakes…yum yum.
I worked with yeast after some time while baking this bread, it is not complicated at all. Just make sure that the yeast you use is fresh, If there is an expiry date on it then you shouldn’t have any worries but if by chance you don’t know the expiry date of the yeast you are using then there is this test which is a process of re-hydrating the yeast, you can do this to check whether the yeast is fresh or not. re-hydration gives the yeast a good start, just remember you have to deduct the amount of liquid you use in the test, to adjust the recipe.
Just follow the basic guidelines like measuring the flour correctly, using the weighing method if possible, and baking the bread in a properly preheated oven. Water may be substituted with milk for a softer bread and when you put the dough to rise brush the top with little olive oil to keep it from drying.
Once you have properly risen dough there is no reason why you can’t bake this or any other bread. let’s get to work!
(One 1/4 oz. packet or 2+1/4 tsp of Active Dry Yeast will rise up to 4 cups of flour.)
Re-hydrating the Yeast:
Dissolve 1 tsp sugar in 1/2 cup 110°F-115°F water.
Add 1 packet of yeast, or 2 & 1/4 teaspoons of yeast, to the sugar solution.
Stir in yeast until completely dissolved.
Let mixture stand until yeast begins to foam vigorously (5 – 10 minutes).
Give it 10 to fifteen minutes and it would almost double in volume.
Remember to decrease the total liquids in your recipe by 1/2 cup to adjust for the liquid used to dissolve the yeast.
- For the Dough:
- 2-1/2 cups bread flour
- 1 package (2-1/4 teaspoons) yeast
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup water (120°-130°F) it should be very warm.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1½ lbs chicken strips
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce (optional)
- ¼ cup tomato ketchup
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, or your favorite kind of cheese.
- ¼ chopped, red onion, chopped, 1/4 cup
- ½ cup chopped bell peppers
- ½ cup cubed mushrooms
- 1 whipped, egg white
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
For the Chicken:
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine 1 cup flour, sugar, yeast, and salt; mix well.
- Add warm water (120-130°F) and oil. With a spoon, mix until almost smooth. The dough will be runny, like pancake batter.
- Gradually stir in remaining flour to make a firm dough.
- Turn out on lightly floured board and knead 2 to 3 minutes until the dough is smooth and elastic.
- Let rest for at least 15 minutes.
- Heat oil In a medium-sized skillet over medium heat.
- Sauté cubed onions until translucent.
- Add marinated chicken strips to the sautéed onions and cook thoroughly, add salt, black pepper, crushed red pepper, and garlic powder and cook until the chicken is tender.
- While stirring the chicken add tomato ketchup, soy sauce, and hot sauce. Cook for another few minutes, stirring so the chicken is well coated in ketchup and hot sauce.
- Add mushrooms and peppers. Sauté for four minutes, making sure that all the ingredients are mixed well.
- Set aside to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 350º F.
- Divide the dough into three.
- Flatten out the dough, on a floured surface, into a rough oblong shape.
- Start off your bread with a base of chicken filling, then sprinkle cheese on top of the filling.
- Make diagonal cuts on either side of the rolled dough.
- Gently start bringing the dough slits on top, over the chicken & cheese filling. Alternating between left and right, in a criss-cross manner. Try to cover the filling without leaving any gaps
- Towards the end just tuck the last end onto the braided bread.
- Place your loaves of bread on a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- Brush whipped egg white on the loaves of bread and sprinkle sesame seeds on each.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until the top turn golden.
- Take out from the oven when done, brush melted butter on whole bread and let it rest for 5 minutes.
Make the Bread: