- 1/2 pound (2 sticks) butter, unsalted
- 8 ounces plus 6 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 3 extra-large eggs
- 1 1/2 tablespoons instant coffee, such as Nescafe
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 to 6 ounces of caramel sauce
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour a 9 x 12 x 1 1/2-inch baking pan.
- Melt the butter, 8 ounces of the chocolate chips, and the unsweetened chocolate together in a medium bowl set over simmering water. Allow cooling for 15 minutes.
- In a large bowl, stir together the eggs, coffee, vanilla, and sugar. Stir the chocolate mixture into the egg mixture and allow it to cool to room temperature (see note below).
- In a medium bowl, sift together 1/2 cup of the flour, the baking powder, and salt and add to the chocolate mixture. Toss the remaining 6 ounces of chocolate chips and the remaining 2 tablespoons of flour in a medium bowl and add them to the chocolate mixture. Spread evenly in the prepared pan. Sprinkle walnuts on top of brownie batter.
- Bake for 35 minutes, add 3 to 4 minutes more if you baked in a pan smaller then 9X12.
- Drizzle the warm caramel over the hot brownies. Cool completely before cutting into pieces.
Warm the salted caramel sauce in the microwave before pouring over hot brownies.
make sure the batter is completely cooled before adding chocolate chips, this would keep the chips from melting before the baking starts.